- The American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials’ (AASHTO) Center for Environmental Excellence - GIS Section - AASHTO developed the Center for Environmental Excellence to serve as a resource for transportation professionals seeking technical assistance, training, and information exchange. The GIS section of the Center for Environmental Excellence provides an overview of GIS technology and its use as a tool for analyzing environmental issues in transportation.
- GIS for Transportation (GIS-T) Symposium - This is the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO) website for its annual GIS for Transportation Symposium. This site offers proceedings and summaries of past symposiums, and provides extensive contact information.
- National Consortium on Remote Sensing in Transportation (NCRST) - NCRST, a consortium of American universities devoted to consultation, research, and outreach for advanced technology and infrastructure development, provides links to a remote sensing/transportation "getting started" tutorial as well as research projects in progress across the country.
- National Cooperative Highway Research Program (NCHRP) - The NCHRP and Transit Cooperative Research Program are applied, contract research programs that develop near-term, practical solutions to problems facing transportation agencies. The NCHRP site offers links to projects, synthesis reports, and publications related to transportation and advanced technologies.
- National States Geographic Information Council (NSGIC) - This is a website for the NSGIC, an organization of states committed to efficient and effective government through the use of geospatial information technologies. It offers information on GIS hot topics, conferences, and profiles on state activities.
- Open GIS Consortium - This is the website of an international, nonprofit trade organization that aims to develop GIS computing standards.
- University Consortium for Geographic Information Science (UCGIS) - UCGIS is a consortium of universities nationwide that was formed in order to establish a unifying and facilitating group aimed at strengthening GIS research and education at all levels.
- Urban and Regional Information Systems Association (URISA) - URISA is a nonprofit association of professionals using GIS and other information technologies to solve challenges in all state and local government agencies and departments. Numerous educational conferences and workshops are offered throughout the year.