FHWA Data Resources
- Binational Transportation Planning and Program Process - A website providing contact information for transportation professionals, highway network reports, and transportation GIS coverages for the U.S. and Mexico. Most files are available in ARC/INFO© interchange (.e00) format, but the U.S. state boundaries are available in ArcView Shape© (.shp) format.
- Census Transportation Planning Package - Attribute data of special tabulations from the decennial census designed for transportation planners are available on this site in spreadsheet and plain text formats. From the homepage, click on "Data Products" in the left navigation bar.
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) - FHWA's NBI offers a wealth of tabular data about bridges across the U.S. From the homepage, click on "Tables of Frequently Requested NBI Information" to locate spreadsheet data.
- National Highway Planning Network (NHPN) - The NHPN is a database that contains line features representing just over 450,000 miles of current and planned highways in the U.S. The NHPN consists of interstates, principal arterials, and rural minor arterials. Files are available in ARC/INFO © Interchange (.e00) format.
Other Data Resources
- Federal Geographic Data Committee (FGDC) - The FGDC's website is aimed at developing the National Spatial Data Infrastructure (NSDI). The site provides news, publications, a calendar of GIS events, and access to vast volumes of data stored on approximately 100 servers registered with the NSDI. To search for data on this site, go to the clearinghouse listed on the left hand navigation bar.
- FWS Regional Ecosystem Coverages - Spatial ecosystem data for each of the 7 FWS Regions, Puerto Rico, Hawaii, and the lower 48 are provided.
- The GeCommunity Data Catalog - The Data Catalog provides many types of data that users can download free of cost or for a nominal fee. This service offers statewide and county-level data such as Digital Elevation Models, Digital Orthophoto Quadrangles, National Wetland Inventory, and land use data. International data is also available. Users will need to create a GeoCommunity Account to download files.
- Geodata.gov - This site is a subsite of the Geo-one-stop Initiative, and is the U.S. Government's web-based portal for one-stop access to maps, data, and other geospatial services. The site hosts data in 17 different categories, including, among others, political boundary, cadastral, and transportation network coverages.
- Geospatial Data for Public Use Roads and Parking Lots - During 2000 and 2001, FWS and the Federal Lands Highways (FLH), Central Federal Lands Division collected geo-spatial data on all roads and parking lots for use with geographic information systems. This information is available for use by other federal agencies, state agencies, local governments and the public.
- Geo-one-stop Initiative - The Federal gateway to shared spatial data, offering links to existing data layers and to GIS clearinghouse websites in all 50 states.
- Migratory Bird Data Center of FWS - The site links to bird population and habitat databases.
- The National Atlas of the United States® - This Internet Mapping Server offers several different categories of map layers, which users can download free of charge. Agriculture, climate, geology, transportation, and water features are among the types of layers available. Vector files are in shapefile format. Image files are in georeferenced tagged image file format (GeoTIFF).
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) - The NOAA's National Ocean Service (NOS) site provides users access to downloadable US bathymetric and hydrographic data.
- National Wetlands Inventory (NWI) of the Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) - NWI produces and provides spatial information on the characteristics, extent, and status of the Nation's wetlands and deepwater habitats and other wildlife habitats.
- National Park Service (NPS) GIS - NPS's GIS site provides access to data, training opportunities, and detailed descriptions of modeling applications occurring nationwide.
- NatureServe - NatureServe is a non-profit conservation organization that provides the scientific information and tools needed to help guide effective conservation action. NatureServe also provides data on ecological systems and the distribution of animal populations throughout the Americas.
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) Geospatial Data Clearinghouse Node - USACE's Geospatial Data Clearinghouse offers metadata for dam and military boundary coverages.
- U.S. Census Bureau - The U.S. Census Bureau's website sharing a range of GIS data, including census maps, cartographic boundary files, and school district boundaries.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) - The EPA's GIS website offering links to a geospatial data clearinghouse, software downloads, and an Envirofacts Data Warehouse.
- U.S. Geologic Survey (USGS) - The USGS website providing information about the physical landscape of the United States. The site hosts high-quality, downloadable data layers and the National Map, a tool for maintaining consistent nationwide GIS data.
- USDA Forest Service Geodata Clearinghouse - The FSGeodata Clearinghouse provides download access to selected geospatial information and metadata held by the Forest Service for National Forest System lands, including feature data such as roads and streams, map images, and fire mapping information.