FHWA Data Resources
- Binational Transportation Planning and Program Process - A website providing contact information for transportation professionals, highway network reports, and transportation GIS coverages for the U.S. and Mexico. Most files are available in ARC/INFO© interchange (.e00) format, but the U.S. state boundaries are available in ArcView Shape© (.shp) format.
- Census Transportation Planning Package - Attribute data of special tabulations from the decennial census designed for transportation planners are available on this site in spreadsheet and plain text formats. From the homepage, click on "Data Products" in the left navigation bar.
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) - FHWA's NBI offers a wealth of tabular data about bridges across the U.S. From the homepage, click on "Tables of Frequently Requested NBI Information" to locate spreadsheet data.
- National Highway Planning Network (NHPN) - The NHPN is a database that contains line features representing just over 450,000 miles of current and planned highways in the U.S. The NHPN consists of interstates, principal arterials, and rural minor arterials. Files are available in ARC/INFO© Interchange (.e00) format.
Other Data Resources
- Federal Geographic Data Committee (FGDC) - The FGDC's website is aimed at developing the National Spatial Data Infrastructure (NSDI). The site provides news, publications, a calendar of GIS events, and access to vast volumes of data stored on approximately 100 servers registered with the NSDI. To search for data on this site, go to the clearinghouse listed on the left hand navigation bar.
- FWS Regional Ecosystem Coverages - Spatial ecosystem data for each of the 7 FWS Regions, Puerto Rico, Hawaii, and the lower 48 are provided.
- Data.gov/geospatial - Explore geospatial data and resources, including an interactive map of submerged land information, maps of air quality across the U.S., data on water resources, and more.
- Geospatial Data for Public Use Roads and Parking Lots - During 2000 and 2001, FWS and the Federal Lands Highways (FLH), Central Federal Lands Division collected geo-spatial data on all roads and parking lots for use with geographic information systems. This information is available for use by other federal agencies, state agencies, local governments and the public.
- Migratory Bird Data Center of FWS - The site links to bird population and habitat databases.
- The 1997-2014 Edition of the National Atlas has retired. Nationalmap.gov will continue to offer the Set of Dynamic Topographic Maps Illustrating Physical Features. Additionally hundreds of printable maps, which were developed for the National Atlas 1997-2014 Edition, can be found at the Printable Maps link. All of these maps display the National Atlas logo and are considered a legacy product.
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) - The NOAA's National Ocean Service (NOS) site provides users access to downloadable US bathymetric and hydrographic data.
- National Wetlands Inventory (NWI) of the Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) - NWI produces and provides spatial information on the characteristics, extent, and status of the Nation's wetlands and deepwater habitats and other wildlife habitats.
- National Park Service (NPS) GIS - NPS's GIS site provides access to data, training opportunities, and detailed descriptions of modeling applications occurring nationwide.
- NatureServe - NatureServe is a non-profit conservation organization that provides the scientific information and tools needed to help guide effective conservation action. NatureServe also provides data on ecological systems and the distribution of animal populations throughout the Americas.
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) Geospatial Platform - USACE's Geospatial Platform provides shared and trusted USACE geospatial data, services and applications for use by our partner agencies and the public.
- U.S. Census Bureau - The U.S. Census Bureau's website sharing a range of GIS data, including census maps, cartographic boundary files, and school district boundaries.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) - The EPA's GIS website offering links to a geospatial data clearinghouse, software downloads, and an Envirofacts Data Warehouse.
- U.S. Geologic Survey (USGS) - The USGS website providing information about the physical landscape of the United States. The site hosts high-quality, downloadable data layers and the National Map, a tool for maintaining consistent nationwide GIS data.
- USDA Forest Service Geodata Clearinghouse - The FSGeodata Clearinghouse provides download access to selected geospatial information and metadata held by the Forest Service for National Forest System lands, including feature data such as roads and streams, map images, and fire mapping information.